DIY Project is really a rewarding thing. Not only does it sharpen your creativity, it also gets you a sense of achievement from your artwork that you can enjoy for a long time. Therefore, why not bringing DIY project closer to your kids? With this DIY lava lamp, you can teach your kids two things: art and science. Find out how below:
- Food coloring of your choice
- Vegetable oil
- Alka-seltzer tablets
- An empty water bottle
- The first step to make this lava lamp is filling in the empty water bottle with vegetable oil. But, make sure that the oil just fills the bottle for about 2/3 full.
- After that, as you still have 1/3 empty part of the bottle, you need to fill it in with water. One important note for this, you still need to leave a little empty space at the top of the bottle.Now that you have both water and oil in the bottle, you can see that the water is going down to be below the vegetable oil.
- Next, add some food coloring. Choose any color that you want. After that, stir the liquid with a chop stick to mix the food coloring. Make sure you don’t shake the bottle as it will create little bubbles that’s making the lava lamp less stellar.Look at how the food coloring only wants to mingle with the water! Yup, that’s right! The food coloring will not mix with the oil, leaving you with oil and colored water in the bottle.
- Now, take your Alka-seltzer tablet and break it into four pieces. Then, drop the pieces one piece at a time. Be ready for the fun part!
What do the tablets do? It makes your DIY lava lamp works. Every time you drop a piece of alka seltzer tablet, it sinks to the bottom of the bottle and then starts to dissolve. It then creates a gas that rises to the top of the bottle. Also, it takes a small amount of the colored water with it. The gas bubble then happens and breaks the surface, while the colored water sinks to the bottom.
This DIY idea of making your own lava lamp accommodates many goals: honing creativity, learning science, and of course making some fun. If you are able to make the science learning more fun to your kids, why don’t you give it a try? There will be so much fun!